About the Course
M.Sc. Chemistry is a 2-year career-oriented postgraduate course which comprises a broad variety of modules in chemistry.
Course is affiliated to Mangalore University. There are 30 seats (15 management).The average course fees ranges between Rs 500 and Rs 56,000 for the total duration. Govinda Dasa College offers variety of scholarships to help the students.
The course consists of advanced lessons in Analytical Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Solid State Chemistry, Quantum Chemistry, Heterocycic Chemistry, Materials Sciences, Polymer Sciences, and such.
Our vision is to facilitate students, largely coming from rural areas, reach higher levels of knowledge, capabilities and human values by the pursuit of excellence and promotion of quality for leadership.
- To look into the overall development of the students
- To develop practical skills and to make the students confident
- To help them to find employment
- To guide the students to compete and succeed to get admitted to various famous research institutions
- To equip ourselves with modern developments in the field
- To update our knowledge with time and try to be better teachers
In order to achieve the objectives, the department has the following plans,
- Students are encouraged and guided to carry out minor research projects
- Regular tests are conducted so that the slow learners and advanced learners are identified and are guided to rectify their mistakes
- Students are guided to give seminars to enhance their confidence
PG Centre of Govinda Dasa College offers only General Chemistry MSc.
BSc graduate from a recognised University with Chemistry as one of the subjects.
Scope after MSc
Passed out MSc post graduates have ample scope in pharmaceutical companies and chemical industries. If they have a call for teaching they can opt lectureship. Research oriented minds can go for PhD and further research in India and abroad.
The average annual salary offered in India to successful postgraduates of the field lies between INR 3 and 6 Lakhs.
Students’ Performance and achievements
- As a part of academic schedule, 2nd year MSc students visit chemical and pharmaceutical companies like Syngenta, MCF, Campco etc for their project works.
- A number of students carried out projects on topics like qualitative analysis of different honey samples, synthesis of activated charcoal from natural resources etc in our own chemistry laboratory.
- Passed out students are placed in reputed companies like Unitop Chemicals (Gujrat), Meylan Chemicals (Bangalore), Sequent Scientific Ltd. (Mangalore) etc. Many are pursuing higher studies. Some have entered into teaching and research professions.